Ok, so I originally planned to have this post done before my birthday, but, darn it! life gets in the way of my blogging. A day late, but here it is:
So, I'm turning 31 in a few days. I remember when I was younger and thinking that 30 sounded so old, but now that I'm here, it's nothing like I thought it would be. I don't really feel old, but I do feel like I've accomplished a lot. I also feel like this is the beginning of a new season of my life. On my thirtieth birthday last year, Emma was exactly 2 months old. My twenties were all about education, exploration and finding out who I am. I graduated college, lived by myself, had a couple serious relationships, tried a few careers, met my husband and got married. Obviously, my thirties are going to be about parenting, putting everything I've learned to use and hopefully raising a wonderful human being (and maybe a few more). I began my thirties with a newborn and in honor of my 31st birthday, I thought I would record 31 ways my life has changed/things I've realized since becoming a parent.
1. me time? what the heck is that?
2. I consider the day successful if I've showered and brushed my teeth
3. sometimes I find myself looking forward to an interaction with that annoying neighbor just to have some adult interaction
4. instead of putting a lunch order in for lucky dragon, I eat soggy peas and pasta off of Emma's tray
5. I never thought I could love someone so much and so unconditionally!
6. baby wipes are awesome and are very multipurpose
7. 6 hours of sleep, in a row is now exciting, not necessary
8. coffee is my new, rediscovered best friend! Emma's first word was "hot" refering to my coffee cup ;)
9. the staircase becomes the most fascinating thing in the world to a toddler and the most terrifying thing to a parent.
10. I sometimes have trouble relating my non-parental friends
11. I have a lot more respect for my parents now, parenting is HARD!
12. I've never thought so much about the future in my whole life
13. recycling and "living green" have a real, visible purpose now
14. there's nothing more entertaining than a baby first discovering a mirror
15. I can now shower in 2 minutes flat!
16. naps are so awesome!!!!
17. naps are so aweseome, yes, it's worth putting down twice!
18. I've realized that there are so many things that I though were vital that are just so unimportant now, because NOTHING is as important as my child!
19. being a mommy IS a job, so yes, I do work
20. there really is no need to buy expensive, fancy toys when the box is just as (or even more) entertaining
21. when you become a mom, you automatically grow eyes in the back of your head
22. poop is really no big deal, and someitmes it's even exciting
23. a baby's feet are quite possibly the cutest things in the whole world! and I am NOT a feet person!!
24. all women are warriors, but women who've given birth are goddesses!!!
25. multi tasking is no longer a stressful, once-in-a-while thing, it's a way of life
26. forget about "my kid won't do that/act that way..." because they WILL, no matter what you do
27. you can read all the baby books, read all the blogs and talk to all the moms you want, but your baby is unique and you have to do what is right for you and your family
28. I find myself being both more judgemental and more understanding of other parents
29. however long you think you'll need to get ready and leave the house with your baby...triple it (at least)
30. mashed fruit is yummy
31. my baby is the cutest, smartest, funniest and most precious baby in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!