Even before I was pregnant I began thinking about using cloth diapers. But thinking was really all I did for a while, after all between 2 baby showers and a huge diaper cake, we didn't end up having to buy diapers for a couple months because we had so many disposables. And I must say, my husband was not nearly as excited as I was about switching to cloth and would insist that if I wanted to use cloth, I was on my own. Nevertheless, I was determined.
So I admit that I didn't start using cloth until Emma was 6 months old and even then I could only afford to buy a few covers, which I used with prefolds that I found at a thrift store while secretly dreaming of a big, fluffy stash of pocket diapers and AIO's. Cloth diapering does require a larger upfront investment than disposables, and that can be really scary. Once I got over it, though, it was totally worth it!! The first pocket diapers I ever bought were a 3 pack of Smartipants, I never looked back, I was hooked. At that time Smartipants were relatively new on the market and lots of moms were raving about them, including one of my good friends (who lovingly pushed me into and reminded me of my desire to use cloth diapers). I checked out their website and loved what I saw, especially the price ($14.95 per diaper or $39.95 per 3 pack), so I ordered a girl color 3 pack right away. You can read my post about it here.
These diapers really stand up to wear. When I first started using them, and for about 3 months, they were pretty much my whole stash because I didn't really care for prefolds and covers, so I was washing every day! I've been using the 3 original diapers for about 10 months now and they still function perfectly and look awesome.
Here is the same pink Smartipants diaper on Emma at about 8 months old:
and currently, at 16 months old. She's about 25 pounds and still on the second snap setting, so they will most likely still fit when we start potty training. That makes them a great investment!
I can say with 100% honesty that the only regret I have regarding cloth diapering is that I didn't start sooner. And Smartipants are the perfect diaper for a first timer! They are so easy to use and wash, they're onesize (which means they'll fit a baby from birth to potty training), easily adjustable and the insert comes out on it's own in the wash (my favorite feature!). Even my husband had to admit that it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be.
- Leak guard technology, a unique "smart sleeve" that keeps the insert in place and keeps moisture from seeping out of the diaper
- a super-thirsty microfiber insert that agitates out of the diaper on it's own in the wash
- a waterproof outer layer=no cover required!
- soft, microfleece lining that wicks moisture away from baby's skin and cleans up so easily!
- gentle elastic along the legs and waist, helping to contain even the messiest of "business" (and they have definitely been put to the test on Emma)
- snap closure and one-size adjustment
- a really neat wrap up and store feature which allows you to wrap up the soiled diaper, fold the wings in and snap 'em together. This is so handy for when you're out and forgot the wetbag. Just wrap it up, snap it and toss it in the diaper bag.
How to enter
Each action counts as one entry unless otherwise stated. Leave a separate comment for each entry and please include your email address. You must complete the mandatory entry before you are eligible for any other entries.
Visit Smartipants, then come back here and tell me which color you would choose if you won. Please leave your email address in your comment or make sure it's visible on your website/blog so I can contact you!
- Follow me publicly through google friend connect-counts as 3 entries! Leave 3 separate comments.
- Subscribe to my blog through email
- Grab my button and tell me where it is posted
- Blog about this giveaway, link back to my site and leave me the URL
This giveaway will end Friday, July 16, 2010. Winner will be drawn by an online random number generator and will be notified by email. Winner must respond to my email within 48 hours or a new winner will be drawn. This giveaway is open to US residents ONLY. Must be 18 years old or older to win.